Higher education and research constitute the backbone of University systems as they focus on the promotion of the human mind, the search for truth, the development of knowledge specialists, the evolution of culture, and the betterment of life in all its myriad manifestations.
While graduate education is largely geared to raise the level of employability of students, training them to play leadership roles in providing the services on which a developed society depends, such as chemists, accountants, nurses, social workers, psychologists, museum curators, professors, teachers, and business managers, research is central to our survival and advancement in a digitalized, knowledge-based, global economy.
Don Bosco University has set for itself a clear mission of playing a leading role in research and scholarship while ensuring a first-rate graduate education to our students that will provide them with the tools and skills to become active contributors to their society that nurtures them into agents of transformation of the same society.
Following the time-hallowed traditions of the great universities of the world, this University seeks to make itself a centre for culture, knowledge, research, Intellectual ferment, for critical thinking and analysis of whatever shapes and impacts human life, a centre that influences thinking, planning and policy making on vital aspects of social life such as religion, culture, society, politics, governance, education, health care, etc.
The objective of the Ph. D. programme of the Assam Don Bosco University is to enable a scholar to undertake research which leads to a contribution to the body of existing knowledge characterized either by the discovery of new facts, solution of unsolved problems, development of new techniques or by reinterpretation of known facts or new solutions to problems. A research scholar who has completed the Ph.D. programme of the University should be capable of undertaking independent research and with further experience, should be able to guide others in research.
Eligibility and Admission
Candidates with at least 55% marks or a CGPA of 6.0 on a scale of 10 for Master’s Degree in the concerned discipline or an allied discipline are eligible to be admitted to the Ph D programme.
Candidates are required to appear for a written test and/or an interview to be conducted by the Board of Research Studies of Assam Don Bosco University. Candidates shall be shortlisted for admission into the programme according to merit determined after giving suitable weightage to the following:
- marks/grades obtained in the Master’s Degree
- performance in the test and/or personal interview
The final list of candidates for admission shall be declared on the basis of the number of seats available and the performance of the candidates.
The Written Test
Don Bosco University ‘Aptitude for Research’ Test (DBU-ART) will test the aptitude of the candidates in the following areas:
- English comprehension
- Logical and analytical ability
- awareness of research in the chosen area of study
The written test is not mandatory for a person who
- has been awarded a fellowship on the basis of a national level examination recognised by UGC
- has completed at least one year of research in a research laboratory/university/institute of repute
- has specialized knowledge in the proposed field of research and at least seven years experience of teaching, administration and management after Master’s Degree
- is a teacher of this University.
All candidates shall attend a personal interview at which he/she shall be required to discuss his/her research interest/area. At the interview the candidate shall present a research proposal, not exceeding 300 words, which will delineate
- area of study chosen for research
- relevance of the proposed research
- reason for the candidate’s interest in the area
Original Documents to be produced at the time of interview (for verification)
- Academic documents (mark sheets, certificates from class X onwards)
- Certificates of work experience (if any)
- Proof of previous research experience (if any)
- No objection certificate from the current employer, if currently employed
- Candidates admitted for the Ph. D. programme will have to undergo a course work for a minimum period of one semester (six months).
- Only candidates securing a minimum grade point of 6.00 in the course work will be permitted to continue in the programme.
- A candidate who is unable to complete the coursework during the allocated course work session may be offered one more opportunity to do so during the subsequent course work session conducted by the University. Fresh admission formalities will have to completed by candidates who fail to complete the course work in two subsequent attempts.
A candidate will be assigned a supervisor by the Board of Research Studies at the time of admission depending on the available specialisations among supervisors registered with the University and the research interest of the student.
After successful completion of coursework, a candidate shall apply to the University for formal registration in the performa prescribed. The maximum permissible period between the date of admission and the date of formal registration for Ph.D. programme is 18 months.
The doctoral candidate will be required to prepare a thesis which will contain his/her research findings. The thesis should be a piece of research-work characterised either by the discovery of new facts or by fresh interpretation of facts or theories. In either case it should evince the candidate’s capacity for critical examination of ideas, original thinking and judgment. It should also be satisfactory as far as its literary presentation is concerned.
When the Supervisor is of the opinion that the thesis is in the final stage of completion, the scholar will be required to give a pre-submission seminar on his research findings.
Submission of Thesis
- The candidate should have pursued research at the University for not less than two years from the date of registration for the Ph. D. programme, before s/he is eligible to submit the thesis.
- The candidate is expected to submit his/her thesis within five years of the date of registration.
- The candidate shall be required to publish one research paper in a referred journal before the submission of the thesis and produce evidence for the same in the form of acceptance letter or the reprint at the time of submission of the thesis.
Award of the Degree
The Ph. D. Degree will be awarded to the candidate based on the evaluation of the thesis by designated examiners and a Viva-Voce examination.
Register yourself. On registration you will receive a verification email. Verify your email.
Make the payment using one of the following options:
- a. Pay online for the application (Rs. 1,000.00).
- b. Purchase a prospectus online, and make payment using Prospectus ID and Key received in your email (Rs. 1,000.00).
NOTE: Non-paid application will not be processed and you may not be shortlisted for entrance test/interview.
Appear for DBU-ART (Don Bosco University ‘Aptitude for Research’ Test) and/or Personal Interview. All candidates will be required to attend a personal interview. The dates for the “Aptitude for Research” Test and the interview will be announced on our website.
Take admission before notified date.
Students from India
|Admission Fees :||Rs. 10,000.00 (payable at admission)|
|Annual Fees :||Rs. 35,000.00 (for Humanities)|
|Rs. 40,000.00 (for Science and Technology)|
|Registration Fees :||Rs. 15,000.00 (payable at the time of final registration)|
Students from Outside India
|Admission Fees :||USD 300 (payable at admission)|
|Annual Fees :||USD 1000 (for Humanities)|
|USD 1400 (for Science and Technology)|
|Registration Fees :||USD 400 (payable at the time of final registration)|
|Admission Fees :||USD 400 (payable at admission)|
|Annual Fees :||USD 1400 (for Humanities)|
|USD 1750 (for Science and Technology)|
|Registration Fees :||USD 550 (payable at the time of final registration)|
Thesis Examination Fee: as notified by the University - payable at the time of submission of thesis.
Note: Annual Fee must be paid on or before 30 April of each year without fail.
- Incentive for faculty members of ADBU - Rs. 10000.00 scholarship annually
- Fees once paid are not refundable.
- The Fee Structure prevailing at the time of admission will be valid for the normal period of doctoral research. If the period of research is extended, the Fee Structure prevailing at the time of extension will apply.
The thrust areas for research in the University for the current session are as given below:
- Protein-Lipid and Protein-Protein Interactions, Macromolecular Crowding
- Fluorescence Spectroscopy, ERP Spectroscopy, Fluorescence Microscopy (FCS, TIRF, CONFOCAL), Enzyme Kinetics
- Phytochemistry of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants
- Cancer Biology, Tumor, Immunology
- Molecular and Cell Biology
- Drug Discovery, Ethnomedicine
- Green Chemistry and Aqueous Phase Organic Reactions Leading to Novel Biologically Active Molecules and Agrochemicals
- Synthesis of Novel Heterocycles and Study of their Biological Properties
- Computational Chemistry and Drug Discovery
- Bio-inorganic Chemistry, Nano-materials and Bio-sensors
- Environmental Chemistry
- Transportation Engineering and Water Resources
- Seismic Safety and Vulnerability of Structures
- Fluid and Soil Structure Interaction
- Geotechnical and Structural Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Remote Sensing
- Environmental Engineering
- Finance and Accounting
- Banking and Finance
- Investment and Portfolio Management
- Finance and Management
- Themes, Symbols, Myths and Rituals among the World’s Religions
- Beliefs and Practices Regarding the Sacred, the Numinous, the Spiritual, the Divine
Computer Science and Engineering
- Real Time Database Systems
- Digital Image/Signal Processing
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Computer Network and Network Security
- Developmental Economics
- International Trade and Investment
- Macroeconometric Modelling
- Monetary, Fiscal and External Policies
- Agricultural Economics
- Educational Leadership and Management
- Classroom Management, Teacher Supervision
- Curriculum Development
- Educational and Developmental Psychology
- Sociology of Education
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Power Systems, Embedded Systems
Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Nano-structured Sensors
- Dye-sensitized Solar Cells
- Biomedical Instrumentation
- Embedded Systems
- English Fiction from various parts of the World
- World Literature in English Translation
- Travel Writing and Women Writing
- Modern and Modernist Poetry
- Hydrodynamics and related areas
- Entrepreneurship, Human Resource Management, Corporate Governance
- Marketing Management
- Society, Development and Communication, Tribal and Folk Media, Media, Religion and Culture, Media Ethics
- Global Media Issues, Media Management, Public Relations, Corporate Strategies, Advertisement, Internet and the Social Media
- Convergent Media, ICT in Higher Education and Knowledge Society
- Number Theory
- Graph Theory and NP-complete Problems
- Microbial Biotechnology, Ecology, Biodiversity
- Antibiotics, Biofilm Biology
- Environmental Remediation
North East India Studies
- Culture, Religious Beliefs and Post-Modern Society in North-East India
- Ethnicity, Ideology and Identity Formation in North-East India; A Philosophy of Culture for North-East India
- A Philosophy of Culture for North-East India
- Classical and Tribal Interpretation of Life and Being
- The Sacred and the Profane
- Contemporary Debates in Moral Philosophy
- Philosophical Moorings of a Society - Land, Forest and Faith
- Intercultural Philosophy, Dialogue of Cultures and Ecosophy (Eco-philosophy)
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Neutrino Physics
- Physics of Microscopic Biological Structures
- Plasma Physics
- Superfluidity and Related Aspects
Psychology and Counselling
- Culture, Heredity, Environment and Developmental Psychology; Psycho-spiritual Integration
- Psychology of Meaning and Psychology of Leadership
- Psychological Assessment and Counselling
- Trauma and Transformation
- Socio-Cultural Determinants and Behavioural Psychology
- Women Empowerment
- Sustainable Community Development
- Social Work and its Psychosocial Correlates
- Rights-based Approaches, Inclusive Development and Community Mobilisation
- Biochemical Adaptation
- Conservation Genetics
- Reproductive Biology
- Medical herpetology
Last date for application online : 31 January 2019
Entrance Test and Interview (tentative) : 25 - 28 February 2019
Commencement of Coursework (tentative) : 1 April 2019
Director of Research : +91 91270 51222
Web : www.dbuniversity.ac.in
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org